Government reassures citizens amidst extended lockdown

The Minister of Local Government (MINALOC), Jean Marie Vianney Gatabazi has reassured vulnerable citizens that they will continue to receive food donations during the lockdown extended for five days.

Kigali City and eight districts including Burera, Gicumbi, Musanze, Kamonyi, Rwamagana, Nyagatare, Rubavu and Rutsiro were placed under lockdown from 17th to 26th July 2021 to contain the spread of COVID-19.

The communiqué released by the Office of Prime Minister on Sunday 25th July 2021 has extended the lockdown for five days from 27th through 31st July ‘in order to consolidate the gains in decreasing the number of COVID-19 cases and related deaths’.

As he appeared in RBA talk show following the announcement on new measures, Minister Gatabazi said that the Government plans to continue supporting citizens hit hard.

“It would not be fair to provide food assistance for the 10 days and stop the support when the lockdown is extended for five days. The journey is ongoing. By this afternoon, relevant officials in Kigali City had already loaded trucks with foodstuffs to be distributed to different beneficiaries. Districts will begin food donation exercise for the next five days effective from tomorrow,” he said.

Over 275,000 families from Kigali City are reported to have received food assistance during the 10-day lockdown, an addition to more than 35,000 families from eight districts.

Celebzmagazine.




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *